In Memory

This video project, as almost all of my projects have, started out as a very different beast than the one I ended up with. I always intended to do a video project about the influence of social media on people's emotions, but as I was musing and brainstorming I started thinking about a very recent time in my life when my emotions became largely dictated by digital communications from a particular person. This seemed to fit well within McLuhan's idea about a "simultaneous happening," and that "we have had to shift our stress of attention from action to reaction." (McLuhan 63) I don't think this was a good shift in my case. I felt nauseous waiting for the next excruciatingly emotional texts, or I was learning about Instagram posts second- or third-hand when they contained important information that one really should not be posting on social media. I felt constantly blindsided. I could never see the next big event coming, I could only wait for the floor to drop out from under my feet. This is part of what scares me about the new digital landscape, and yet I think it's part of what excited McLuhan. Sometimes I can see it from his perspective. Most of the time I prefer to avoid the hyperconnected online realm, because it's simply too exhausting. An unusual thing for someone in a New Media in Art class to say, no? 

Well, perhaps I have always been a bit out of place.


Watch In Memory on YouTube here. 

Content warnings: implied emotional manipulation and gaslighting, emotional distress, brief reference to abuse, and overlapping speech and sounds that may be overwhelming.


Screencap of an unused take.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've barely started to emerge from myself

Nature Negatives

Presentation: John Cage